An Accidental Preachers Wife

You know how I love the Pioneer Woman.

Remember how when the show comes on  one of the ways she describes herself is as, "an accidental country girl."

Accidental leads us to believe she hadn't planned on it.

I'm often asked by others about being a "preachers wife" and it occurred to me that I'm an "Accidental Preachers Wife."

I hadn't planned on it.

I didn't sign up for it.

I thought I was going to be a farmer's wife not a farmers/preacher's wife.

Now one difference between the Pioneer Woman and this Preachers Wife is I think that while she hadn't planned to be a country girl she was okay with it.

I on the other hand became a preachers wife kicking and screaming the whole way.

I didn't want it.

I was afraid of the whole thing.

I didn't know how to do it and I didn't want to learn how to do it.

I wanted to do the things I had always done because it's what I did, not because I was the preachers wife.

I didn't want to listen to people brag on my husband and think to myself, "you know he really isn't that wonderful."

I didn't want to listen to people tell me everything they thought was wrong with him and have to act like a lady and listen.

I guess that's the same as saying I didn't want to listen to how bad he was because I knew he was really a good man.
Not perfect, but good.

I didn't want to have people mad because we talked to them about what was going on in their lives and then have people mad if we didn't.
Mad because we called to check on them or mad because we didn't.

When I had to make calls about food or other needs I didn't want people to ask me who I called first, so I learned to call alphabetically.

I didn't want people thinking things about our children or our parenting.

I didn't want people thinking I was a pushover or a takeover, hardnosed or weak.

I didn't want to be brought in under excitement and having everyone think you were great only a few short years later to have them think you were a mistake.

With all of that said, you would think, wow, who would want to be a preacher's wife.

No wonder I kicked and screamed.

But thankfully the story doesn't stop there.

When I'm asked by young preachers wives  about what to do and what to expect I have to be honest.
I have to tell them it will be one of the hardest things they will ever do.

I have to tell them how I have had times when I was flat on my face on the bedroom floor in prayer and tears

I have to tell them there were times I danced across the floor with joy of what the Lord was doing.

If I hadn't been that accidental preachers wife I would have missed so many blessings.

I would have missed chances to become humble and lowly.

I would have missed so many chances to serve.

I would have never met some of the best friends I've ever had.

I would have not had the chance to learn from those I've learned from and to be able to teach those I've been blessed to teach.

I would have never had the chance to see my husband grow into the leader that he is now.

I would have never watched him lead other men, men who were willing to accept the challenge to step up.

I would have never known the blessing of seeing sweet, young women become godly, maturing women.

I would have never known some of the precious children I have known and thrill in seeing them grow up.

I would have never known how to deal with some of things I now know how to deal with.

I would have never learned how to look back over it all and call it good, not that it was all good but that God is good and he heals and he fixes and brings about good.

I wouldn't be who I am if I hadn't stopped kicking and screaming and started loving and listening.

So after all these years I can finally say like the pioneer woman does, I can say it with a smile, "I'm an Accidental Preachers Wife"  and I've been blessed.

So for all you young women who find yourself married to a preacher, hang on it's going to be some kind of ride and you will never be the same.

You will be stronger and better.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Raisin Pie....AN OLD FASHIONED FAVORITE

SANDWICH RING....IT COULD NOT BE EASIER!

CABBAGE STEAKS