Raisin Pie....AN OLD FASHIONED FAVORITE

Some of you requested the Raisin Pie recipe so here it is.

I had never had a raisin pie until I married into the Gray family.

Mark loved them and when I was given a bridal shower before we married, everyone was asked to bring a recipe.

Marilyn Losson brought this one.

I have to admit as a young wife I let it sit in the recipe box for a little while but once I took it out, it just kept coming back out.

Mark's grandpa Gray loved a raisin pie and so we took this over to his house often and of course we took a half gallon vanilla ice cream along with us.

When Lucas came in the other day and saw this on the counter he said the first thing he thought of was Grandpa Herman.

The girls aren't crazy about this pie but Lucas likes it and he likes it with ice cream too, so I'm thinking it's a Gray man thing.

Okay, so here we go, the recipe is.....

2 cups seedless raisins
2 cups water
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 Tbsp cornstarch
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/8 tsp. salt
1 Tbsp. butter
1 Tbsp. vinegar

Boil the raisins in 1 3/4 cups of the water for 5 minutes.

Meanwhile, (Don't you just love a good meanwhile? I mean anything can happen in a meanwhile),
combine brown sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon and salt.
Moisten with remaining 1/4 cup water, stir until smooth.

After raisins have boiled for five minutes remove them from the heat. Slowly pour in the sugar mixture, stirring constantly.

Return to heat and bring the raisin mixture back to a boil, it will thicken up.

Remove from heat and add butter and vinegar. ( I have been known to add a little more butter, I mean how can you go wrong with a little more butter?)

Pour into an unbaked pastry lined pie plate.

Add a top crust, some people add a meringue or whipped cream but as a rule I have found the Grays to be against that so I stick with a top crust.

Seal the edges, crimp it up pretty and bake a hot oven, 425 degrees for 25 minutes or until the crust is a beautiful golden brown.

Enjoy!

Comments

  1. Thank you, this is so much easier than a cook book, because you can’t always find the recipe your looking for. Which is what happened in my case😝

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the same thoughts about extra butter. I like the way you think!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This raisin pie filling is way too dry. Followed recipe to the letter & when it cooled off the filling was way to dry.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

SANDWICH RING....IT COULD NOT BE EASIER!

CABBAGE STEAKS