I'M NO MA INGALLS

You know how much I admire Ma Ingalls, Caroline Ingalls from Little House on the Prairie.

It didn't matter what happened, no matter how bad the deal or how stressed out Pa was she held her tongue.

When she saw what happened or after Pa, told her what happened she would  nod her head or she would just sit quiet.

I know that is exactly what she should have done.

Her example is great.

Pa didn't need her telling him how it would be okay, he didn't need her telling him what he did wrong or what he could do different next time.

He needed for her to be still.

She needed to give him time to deal with it within himself.

He needed time to think and to process.

We had a situation like this just last week and it's the very reason I know I'm no Ma Ingalls.

I had been mowing over at Lost River, I was almost done and Mark said he would take over.

He accidently hit a gas line.

He got down and looked at the line.

It scared me to death.

I started saying, "We better call the gas company"...."You better go shut the gas off"
He was mowing up next to the barns when he caught the gas line going into the barn.

We could hear gas.
I said, "Shut off at the tank"...."Is it going to blow up"?........"What are you going to do?"........"Maybe we should get away from it"......

It was at this point I realized I was not being quiet nor was I gently nodding.

I knew I wasn't giving him time to deal with it.,

You know how I knew?

I'll tell you how I knew.

He stood up, turned around and looked at me, put his hands on his hips and said..."Will you be quiet, let me think, I'm trying to think where I have an extra valve at.".........and just so you know he wasn't being like Pa Ingalls either....he didn't say it quiet and controlled.

He jumped in the truck and went to the shop to get a new valve.

I ran to the end of the building and called Jessica so one of the kids would know what happened to us if the worse happened to us.

She is just like me, you know that list of things I said, well, she pretty much repeated them all to me.

I told her I didn't know why we weren't doing those things.

I told her, her dad seemed to think it wasn't a big deal.

He came back.

He got out of the truck and he had a valve.

He got down on his knees and I don't know what he was doing but the noise stopped.

He had fixed it.

I guess it wasn't as big of a deal as I thought.

I guess I got a little excited.

I guess I should have been quiet.

I should have just been quiet and inwardly rejoiced that he was the one who hit something with the lawnmower instead of me.


Comments

  1. I would of been running around with my head in my hands........gas!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Raisin Pie....AN OLD FASHIONED FAVORITE

SANDWICH RING....IT COULD NOT BE EASIER!

CABBAGE STEAKS