CANDIED, GLAZED OR IN A CASSEROLE YOU'VE GOT TO HAVE SWEET POTATOES FOR THANKSGIVING

When I was a girl we always had what we called glazed sweet potatoes for Thanksgiving and Christmas.

Mom made a glaze to go over the potatoes.
She always used drained canned sweet potatoes or yams.

In later years when they came out with the sliced frozen sweet potatoes she took to using those.

I always like moms sweet potatoes.

When I came into the Gray family they did sweet potatoes too.

June always used real sweet potatoes, she cooked, peeled and made a glaze to go over them.

I loved it.

Now at Gray dinners Karen, Marks sister always does the sweet potatoes and the dressing she is the only one who can do it like her mom.

For a long time I made sweet potatoes like June even thought they neve were as good as hers we liked them.

Then I heard people talking about Sweet Potato Casserole.

I had never had it but I had just got the Westview Christian Church cookbook.

They named it A Taste of Heaven.

I was going through it and I saw Reta Haub had a recipe for a sweet potato casserole in it.

So I made it.

We loved it and I've been making it very since.

No more glazed or candied or anything.

We stick with the casserole.

Last year Jessica made it and she is going to make it again this year.

It's her favorite.

It's a common dish so you might already have the recipe but if not I'll share it.

Again it didn't originate with me , it's Reta's and it's good.

Sweet Potato Casserole

3 cups sweet potatoes, about four good size ones  Reta doesn't say this in her recipe but I have used a large can of sweet potatoes, drained well and it worked just fine.
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter
 2 eggs, beaten
1 tsp. vanilla
1/3 cup milk

Topping
1/3 cup melted butter
1 cup light brown sugar
1/2 cup flour
1 cup chopped pecans

Boil until tender, drain and  mash potatoes. Mix in sugar, butter, eggs, vanilla and milk. Stir well.
Pour into a 13x9 inch baking dish

For topping melt butter and mix in remaining ingredients. Sprinkle on top of the potato mixture.
Bake 25 minutes at 350 ( sometimes I bake a little longer)
Serves 10 to 12





Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Raisin Pie....AN OLD FASHIONED FAVORITE

SANDWICH RING....IT COULD NOT BE EASIER!

CABBAGE STEAKS