My Favorite Pie Crust for My Pie People Family

My family is more of a pie family than a cake family.

Me, I'm more of a cake person than a pie person but you now how we moms are, we give our family what they like so today I'm going to share my pie crust recipe.

I'm sure some of you already have it.

It's just a basic recipe that I got from my sister in law Susan, years ago when she and Mark's brother Keevin lived in Searcy, Arkansas while he was attending Harding.

It was more than the recipe though, I got to watch her make it.

I noticed how it all pulled together in the bowl and there was no flour left over at the bottom.

It was beautiful and she made it look so easy.

My mom, God love her, makes awful pie crust.  She always told us that she used to make it good until she gave her recipe to her friend Patty.

Then she goes on the tell us how there is an old saying that says you should never give a recipe away or you will never be able to make it again.

That's her story anyway and so far she is sticking to it.

As you know all your ingredients should be cold when you make pie crust.

Lard is the best but Crisco is good too.

Butter flavored Crisco is good for chicken pot pie but I don't use it for fruit or cream pies but that's just me.

The weather plays a huge role in how your crust is going to be.

Pie dough doesn't get along well with high humidity, but then who does?

It also isn't real touchy feely.

You need to work quick and not for long.

It's sort of like a muscle. If you over work it, it will get stiff and then it will bet tough and hard to work with or cut when you serve it.

When you roll it out cut the dough in half,  make a circle out of it by lightly, lightly shaping it with your hands.

Sprinkle flour on your board or counter, go light with it because you don't want to get your dough heavy. Roll away from you a couple times using even pressure, pick the crust up and turn it half way around or you could say sideways  and roll again, then pick it up and move half way around again. Repeat until you get the size you need. This is how you get a round pie crust.

I learned this trick from watching my mother-in-law.

Pie crust is messy and can be a job so make extra and freeze it.

Sometimes I freeze it in the pie plate sometimes I just freeze it in a gallon bag.

You can keep it in the fridge for about a week too if you want to.

Pie crust is one of those things that is becoming a thing of the past.

Everyone loves homemade flaky pie crust but few take the time to do it.

Don't be afraid of it.

It's a skill that's good to have, It's a great way to bless others.

Pie Crust, Biscuits, Yeast Roll and Bread all take practice. Or for most of us they do.

It's more than a recipe, its' a technique.

After you have done it a few times you will just know when the dough feels right.

If I make crust I can always tell if it's going to be tough before I ever bake it. I can feel it in the dough.

Take a day just to make it until you can make it.

When I learned how to make Yeast Rolls I threw enough hard rock rolls over the fence to make a stone wall but then finally I felt it. I knew I had it.

So don't be afraid of crust, if you try it you'll get it.

My Favorite Pie Crust

3 cups cold all purpose flour
1 tsp. salt
1 cup lard or Crisco

Cut lard into flour and salt until mealy looking.

1 egg
5 Tbsp cold water or maybe a little more if it's humid
1 Tbsp. vinegar

Mix these three things together and pour all at once into your flour, Crisco mixture, stir with your hand quickly picking up the dough and turning in over almost like folding, work quickly and not for long.

You can chill it before you roll it out or you can use right away.

This is so good and so flaky, I think you will really like it.

And remember, if at first you don't succeed try, try again.

No great cook or baker was a great cook or baker on her first day, and if she was, well that's beside the point and I don't believe her anyway.:)

Happy, Flaky, Pie Crust to you and yours!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Raisin Pie....AN OLD FASHIONED FAVORITE

SANDWICH RING....IT COULD NOT BE EASIER!

CABBAGE STEAKS