Thanksgiving Sides and Desserts........Oyster Dressing


My mother-in-law,  June,  is the best cook I know.

Her Oyster Dressing is the best I've  ever had.

Karen,  June's daughter,  my sister-in-law is as good of a cook as her mother and if you put their dressings side by side on the Thanksgiving table I couldn't tell them apart.

Karen wrote the recipe out for me and I have been following it faithfully for several years now.

To me,  it never tastes as good as theirs but my family assures me it is.

You know how it is though...someone else' cooking is always better.

If you don't like Oyster Dressing just omit the oysters and you will still have a wonderful dressing recipe.

So are you ready?

Let's go, you're gonna need:

1/2 cup chopped celery
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 bay leaf
1/4 cup butter
6 cups dry bread crumbs  ( you can buy the unseasoned packaged bread crumbs or tear up your own, I've done both)
I Tbsp, chopped parsley
3 cans drained, chopped oysters,  use more or less according to your taste, I use two.
1 tsp. poultry seasoning
Sage to taste
salt and pepper to taste
2 eggs, beaten
1 3/4 cup liquid, I always end up using more than this, you know how moist or dry you like your dressing so just take your time adding and keep checking, you will more than likely have to add a little more.
June and Karen use a combination of broth, milk  and a little of the drained oyster juice.

Cook celery,  onion and bay leaf in butter until tender but not brown.

Discard Bay Leaf

Put the bread cubes and all the other ing. except for the liquid in a large bowl, pour the celery, onion and butter mixture over the bread cubes stir and then add the liquid.

Stir well.

Bake uncovered in an oven that has been preheated to 350 degrees.

Bake at least 30 minutes or until golden brown.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Raisin Pie....AN OLD FASHIONED FAVORITE

SANDWICH RING....IT COULD NOT BE EASIER!

CABBAGE STEAKS