Chicken Pot Pie

I found this recipe in an old USDA cookbook.

It was old when I got it, or it looked old anyway and that's been 25 years or more ago so now it's really old.

I saw this recipe and tried it, and it's always been my favorite ever since.

Mark's mom, makes this now too and she sometimes makes it ahead and freezes it and takes it out as she needs it.

I never do that because we always want it right now but it's a good idea and one you might want to try.

So here's the recipe.

Chicken Pot Pie

3 TBSP. butter, always use real butter, salted real butter
1/4 cup all purpose flour
1 1/4 cups chicken broth
1 cup milk, (sometimes if I've got it I'll use half and half)
1 1/2 salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
2 cups cubed cooked chicken
1 3/4 cooked carrots, peas and potatoes
1 unbaked pie crust, top and bottom crust

Melt butter, stir in flour, salt and pepper, add broth and milk, stirring constantly until it bubbles and thickens.
Add well drained chicken and veg. Pour into a lined pie plate, deep dish,  cover with  a top crust, seal edges and slit top.
Bake at 450 for 15 minutes, then reduce to 350 and bake until crust is golden brown and filling is hot.

I always double the recipe and put it in a 9x13 baking dish, I double everything but the salt, I hold back a little on it, you can just add a little at a time until you think you got it right. Or come to think of it...if you decide to go ahead and use the unsalted butter you might be able to go all the way with
 salt.

Of course you can use store bought crust and canned or frozen mixed veggies, I've used canned chicken when I've been in a hurry, it isn't as good but it's still good. You could also get one of those rotisserie chickens at the store and tear it up.

What I'm saying is you can take a lot of short cuts with this but don't take one with the filling, the rich filling is where the flavor is.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Raisin Pie....AN OLD FASHIONED FAVORITE

SANDWICH RING....IT COULD NOT BE EASIER!

CABBAGE STEAKS