SPICY CHICKEN CHOW MEIN

I found this recipe in an old Rival slow cooker cookbook.

It's old and yellowed, the book I mean.

Since Mark really likes Chinese I decided to give it a try and he and Lucas both really like it and besides that a poultry producer has to push poultry..

It doesn't call for any salt but we added more soy sauce when we had it in our plates and it was perfect.  I also added a few more red pepper flakes to mine.

Here is a list of what you are going to need.

1 tbs. oil

1 1/2 lbs skinless, boneless chicken breast cut into 1 inch pieces

4 carrots, thinly sliced

4 green onions, sliced ( I didn't have green onions so I used a sweet onion but I'm sure green would have been better)

3 stalks celery, sliced

1 cup chicken broth

1 tbs. sugar

1/3 cup soy sauce

1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes or more if desired

1/4 tsp. ground ginger

1 clove garlic, minced

8 oz. bean sprouts, I couldn't find fresh so I used canned

1 eight oz can water chestnuts, drained

1/4 cup cornstarch

1/4 cup water

In a large skillet, heat the oil and brown the chicken pieces.

Place the chicken in the slow cooker along with the remaining ingredients except for the water and cornstarch.

Stir to combine

Cover and cook on low  6-8 hours.

When it's done mix the cornstarch and water in a small bowl until the cornstarch is completely dissolved then stir it into the chow mein mixture in the slow cooker.

Place the lid back leaving it slightly ajar and cook until thickened about 15 minutes.

Serve over rice or noodles.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Raisin Pie....AN OLD FASHIONED FAVORITE

SANDWICH RING....IT COULD NOT BE EASIER!

CABBAGE STEAKS