The Persimmon Pudding Recipe That Forced Me To Cry Uncle

I know I'm running the risk of making you all think I'm a persimmon freak by my daily mention of them.

But what can I say, the season is here.

The time is now.

The fruit is ready.

My friend Colleen and I have been talking back and forth about persimmons and of course last night our conversation moved on from the harvesting of persimmons to the making of persimmon pudding.

I have always adored persimmon pudding.

Both sides of my family made it but it is mainly my maternal grandmothers that I remember the most.

When Mark and I married I learned to love persimmon pudding in a whole new way.

You know how it is, you think everything your family does is the best and then one day you try something and there is nothing to do but cry, "Uncle."

His people have one upped your people.

Their way really is best.

So I did what we all do when faced with a hard fact of truth, I accepted it, I embraced the Gray way of making Persimmon Pudding.

My mother-in-law and her sisters are some of the best cooks ever.

You have got to try this recipe, you won't be sorry and by all means don't skip the topping.

That's what makes it the Gray Way.

My people never used topping.

Oh what we were missing.

If you haven't had this yet, don't miss out one more fall, give it a try as soon as you can!

This will make a 9 x 13 pan.

1/2 stick butter melted and browned, real butter is a must for the best flavor. Brown in small skillet slowly keeping your eye on it, don't burn it just let it stay on the heat until you see the butter start to turn golden brown. Don't skip this step. You know what they say, good cooking takes a long time and much effort.

2 cups persimmon pulp
2 eggs, well beaten
1 cup white sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1 cup whole milk
1 cup half and half
2 tsp. vanilla
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. soda
1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1 1/2 cup flour
Put the persimmon pulp in the bowl first and then add the other ingredients.
Mix well
Pour into a 9 x13 baking dish, you can hit the dish with a light spray of Pam but you don't have too.
Bake at 350 for one hour, or until a knife comes out clean. Try not to over bake.
It will really puff up while baking and fall back as it cools.

Now for the best part, the topping.
1 cup sugar
2 TBSP. flour (heaping)
1 cup hot water
1 lump of butter, ( I consider that to be a goooood sized tablespoon)
1 tsp. vanilla
just a tablespoon or two of Milnot
Add the flour and sugar together, mix
Add the Milnot very slowly stirring as you do, just enough to make it thick and smooth.
Then add the hot water, again pouring it in slowly, a little at a time stirring all the while.
Put on stove and cook stir constantly, until it thickens.
Remove from heat and add the butter and vanilla.
Pour over the warm pudding.
Let come to room temp or it's even divine if you put it in the fridge, it's totally up to you

We're the kind of people who don't know how to have fall hayrides or bonfires or reunions or Thanksgiving without Persimmon Pudding.

It just isn't done.

I think you'll be the same once like me, you try the Gray way and have to cry, "Uncle!"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Raisin Pie....AN OLD FASHIONED FAVORITE

SANDWICH RING....IT COULD NOT BE EASIER!

CABBAGE STEAKS