Flakey Buttermilk Biscuits

Here's the recipe for the buttermilk biscuits.

As you already know it's really important to have cold ingredients when you are making biscuits.

Back in the day everyone used lard to make biscuits but today we tend to go to butter and its so so good.

Make sure your butter is really cold and keep it cold until you are ready to use it.

Same with your buttermilk if you don't have any buttermilk you can add a tsp of white vinegar to a cup of whole milk and let it set in a few minutes you will have buttermilk or the equivalent of.

Some people freeze the butter and then they use a grater to grate it while its frozen into the flour mixture. I don't do that but it sounds like a good idea.

When you are cutting or mixing the butter into the flour you want to work fast because the heat from your hands will start to warm up the butter and the cold butter hitting the hot oven is what's going to give you flakey biscuits.

Also if you like the layers  like you get in store bought biscuits and I do I roll the dough out then I start at one end and roll the dough up then I lightly roll it out again you can do that a couple of times but no more or you might toughen the dough.

I like big thick biscuits so I roll them about 1 to 1 1/2 inches thick but you make them as big as you like.

It's important to have your oven hot be sure and preheat it.

I lightly spray the  baking sheet with baking spray go light though.

I put all the dry ingredients in my Kitchen Aid and mix them well actually I whisk the dry ingredients together before I put them in the kitchen aid bowl.

Then I add the cold butter which I have cut into small pieces.

Then I mix until it's crumbly.

Not small crumbs don't over mix.

Then I add the buttermilk and turn the mixer on the second speed. I stand there and watch it. It will only take a small amount of time for it to be mixed enough. Just when it pulls together. If it seems dry add a tiny bit more milk at a time.

When it's done it's going to be a little sticky that's okay.

Just flour your surface well and dump the dough out and roll to the desired thickness. If it's to sticky you might  work in a little more flour just until it doesn't stick dont over do it or the flour or your biscuits will get heavy.

Okay so preheat your oven to 375 degrees lightly spray your baking sheet and then get out these ingredients.

4 cups all purpose flour

4 tbsp. baking powder

1 tsp. baking soda

1 1/2 tsp. salt

1 tsp sugar  (if you are making these for shortcake add a tbsp of sugar)

1 cup cold butter cut into small cubes

2 cups buttermilk

Put all of the dry ingredients in to a bowl and whisk them together. Don't skip this step often times its the little things that make a big difference you need that baking powder distributed evenly in the flour if you are gonna want high rising biscuits.

Ater its well mixed add the cubed butter and mix with your hands smashing the butter pieces between your fingers until it is well mixed or you can use your kitchen aid like I do.

After you have the butter broken up and distributed throughout the flour add the buttermilk and stil just until it comes together.

If the dough is to sticky add a little more flour.

Sprinkle the counter with flour and roll out the dough, cut out the biscuits if you don't have a biscuit cutter use the open end of a glass.

Place on your prepared baking sheet and bake until lightly brown. About twenty minutes or so, keep an I on them.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Raisin Pie....AN OLD FASHIONED FAVORITE

SANDWICH RING....IT COULD NOT BE EASIER!

CABBAGE STEAKS