KRAUT AND PORK

When we make kraut and pork, pork can mean anything.

My niece mentioned in one of her comments they liked them with hotdogs and we do too.

My mom often used hotdogs or pork wieners.

We used pork chops, pork roast, smoked sausage and pork ribs.

I most often use boneless pork ribs.

That's what I used today.

I always buy my kraut in a bag.

It's in with the meats.

I like it because it's juicy and I like that.

I don't know why but my mom never liked to buy kraut in a can at the store so I don't either.

I don't have a good reason other than mom didn't so I don't.

Lucas buys his kraut in the glass jars.

I bought the kraut I used today from Aldi's it was in a glass jar and while it tastes really good it was a little dry there wasn't much juice in the jar.

Several asked for the recipe but I don't really have one so I will just try and tell you what I do.

I use a couple of pounds of the boneless pork ribs.

I put a little oil in a skillet just enough to brown or sear the ribs really well.

You want to get a good color on them.

After I've done that  I add the sauerkraut.

Don't drain any of the juice.

I spread it around over the ribs and then I cover it and simmer it for I don't even know how long.

I know that's not what I'm supposed to say in a recipe but I never timed it. I just do it.

I simmer them until they are tender and start to fall apart.

They say pork is done when the internal temp reaches 145 degrees so you might want to get a meat thermometer.

At the very end when I'm sure they are done I sprinkle a tablespoon or two depending on how many ribs I have of brown sugar all over the kraut and ribs.

I put the lid back on and continue to simmer.

The sugar melts down and as it cooks  the kraut get all nice and brown.

You don't want enough sugar to make the kraut sweet you just knock the edge off of it.

Our favorite way to serve it is with mashed potatoes.

Grant it will make the kitchen stink but it's so worth it.

I hope you enjoy it everyone.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Raisin Pie....AN OLD FASHIONED FAVORITE

SANDWICH RING....IT COULD NOT BE EASIER!

CABBAGE STEAKS