The Anchor of Home

I guess with all that's been going on I'm feeling a little melancholy.

I thought about my grandparents on my dad's side.  Grandpa passed away first and Grandma a few years later.

Mark's Uncle Glen preached both of the funerals.

I can still see Uncle Glen standing there by the casket looking at my dad, uncles and my aunt and telling them how the home place wouldn't be the same anymore.

He went on to say once Dad and Mom are gone things change.

I thought of that today as Heidi and I took a few minutes to sit on the porch at the little house over at Lost River.

Two charter buses bringing the Amish in for the funeral went by along with lines of buggies.

Mark told me he had been talking to Mary's sons about losing their mother, and what she meant to them.

You know how I am about home, it seems to be where my mind always is and so I naturally started to think about what it means to a home or farm when it loses it's father. When I say home I'm referring to the family, to the place they call home because a home and a farm are a part of the family.

When a home loses it's father it loses it's strength, it's manhood and it's protection. There is just something about a husband and a father that brings a sense of security and safety to the home. We know that he will always be the one to go out in the weather and do the hard things, if an animal has to be put down he will do it, he doesn't want to anymore than anyone else but he will do it.  If danger comes to the door he will be the first one there.  His hands are big,, they are cut and callused  and they are strong. He only needs to speak and everyone listens. His face is whiskery.   To see him cry is more than anyone can stand. It's a hard thing to see your Daddy cry.

What does a home lose when it loses it's mother?

I don't know the words to describe what a home loses when it loses it's mother.

In my mind I see a kitchen and the door opens and be it dad or the kids they call, "Mom."

Why is it we always want to know where mom is?

When a home loses it's mother it loses it's angel.

It loses the one who is forever looking out for each and everyone of hers.

It loses a prayer warrior.

It loses the one who does the Christmas dinner and makes all the holidays fun.

It loses gentleness and tenderness.

It loses soothing hands and a soft face.

A home loses it's strength and protection when it loses it's mother too.  It's a different kind of strength and protection but it's just as powerful.

My mom told me when her dad died she felt like she had lost an anchor.

I see how that could be.

I know that as long as my parents have strength and breathe in their bodies if I needed them they would come.

They would come no matter how deep or dark  the night. They would come.

They would sell all they own to see that their children and grandchildren had what we needed.

They would give their lives for any of us without a minutes hesitation.

The best love and security this side of Heaven is what a home loses when it has to give up it's father or mother.

It loses it's earthly anchor.

"Does Jesus care when I've said "good-bye" to the dearest on earth to me
And my sad heart aches till it nearly breaks, is it aught to Him does He care?

O, yes He cares; I know He cares, His heart is touched with my grief;
When the days are weary, the long nights dreary; I know my Savior cares."







Comments

  1. Oh, this made me cry. How true it is... Thanks for sharing Kelly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for taking the time to stop and leave your thoughts. It means so much. It made me cry too. Thanks again for stopping by.

      Delete
  2. So touching, Kelly. Just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Barbara, it's something I think a lot of us can relate too! I always appreciate your comments and I'm sorry it took me a little while to see that you had left a note. Thanks again!!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Raisin Pie....AN OLD FASHIONED FAVORITE

SANDWICH RING....IT COULD NOT BE EASIER!

CABBAGE STEAKS