From Persimmon to Pudding

 This is the Persimmon tree to the west of our house. I've been going out to check it several times a day  to no avail. There aren't many hanging in the tree so there aren't many falling. I remember reading about Laura Ingalls not knowing what persimmons were when she and her husband moved to Missouri from South Dakota. I guess they're more  a treat of the eastern half of the mid-west.
  I heard a man compare a persimmon to a person. He said the persimmon is pretty on the tree but it's no good until  it falls. It has to mature, it matures when it goes through a frost, falls to the ground, maybe even gets bruised, you might have to knock a few ants off of it before you can even eat it. That's when a persimmon is the best, that's when it's at its sweetest.  I think there is truth in that comparison and I never go to the persimmon tree or make a persimmon pudding that I don't think of that story and how in the end I want to be like a persimmon. I want to finish sweetly.
  My Grandma Money and my Grandma Marshall both made Persimmon Pudding. We never used topping, whipped cream or glaze. It never even occurred to me to put anything on my pudding.
Then I married, and well you know how your  in-laws always do some strange thing or the other. My  in-laws strange thing was pouring a vanilla butter glaze over their Persimmon Pudding... I loved it! I embraced their strangeness and never again made a pudding without the vanilla butter glaze. I can't imagine how I ever ate it without it.
  So what about you, does your family do plain pudding or do you go for topping?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Raisin Pie....AN OLD FASHIONED FAVORITE

SANDWICH RING....IT COULD NOT BE EASIER!

CABBAGE STEAKS