Truth Is

We had a great discussion tonight at Bible study. We were talking about low self-esteem. It's the age old problem isn't it? Remember in Genesis chapter 3 when Satan tells Eve if she eats the fruit she will be different and she'll know more   What was he really telling her?  He was whispering to her soul, "You're not enough Eve, you need to be more."   Wow, is that not the very same thing he whispers to us?  John 8:44 tells us Satan is a liar, not only a liar but the father of liars.  We all know you don't believe a liar. So why do we find it so easy to believe Satan and his lies and hard to believe God and His truth? 
  What does God say about us, what is God's truth?   Genesis 2 records that God made mankind in His image. What's an image?  It's a copy, a look a like, a reflection of God. We were created to reflect God's glory. We weren't created to be God, we were created to reflect God. And we are created perfectly to do that. I have loved Psalm 34:9 for a long time. I find myself going back to it often. Listen to God's truth in this verse,"Fear the LORD, you His holy people, for those who fear Him lack nothing."  Did you hear the truth?  Truth is we lack nothing. Don't listen to Satan, we don't need to act like Eve and reach out to be more. We don't have to believe Satan's lie that we are not enough. Truth is, God's truth is we lack nothing. There is nothing to reach out grab and improve ourselves He has made us perfect and we lack nothing.
  We have to take this in context of course. We know we do lack things, I lack a good singing voice, I lack organizational skills. I lack coordination. But none of that matters. I don't need to spend time feeling bad about that. Those things aren't for me. Other things are for me. I am who God created me to be. And I'm perfect for that. I lack nothing God meant for me to have to do what He means for me to do.
 Which brings us back to what I was created to do. Bring God glory. When we get an accurate picture of who God is we will have an accurate picture of who we are.
  Satan has convinced us that the answer to happiness is to love ourselves. Remember, what does Satan do?  LIE!... God says in Matt. 22:37, "Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. 28. This is the first and greatest commandment. 29. And the second is like it, Love your neighbor as yourself."  So how do we feel okay about ourselves?  By not thinking about ourselves. By focusing on God and His greatness, by seeking Him first.   By loving our neighbor, by denying ourselves. By serving others before ourselves. I know it is the exact opposite from what the world says but it is exactly what God says. We can't spend today focusing on what we are or what we are not, for true happiness we've got to focus on God. Truth is, (to borrow a phrase from fb,) the only way to have self-esteem is to esteem God.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Raisin Pie....AN OLD FASHIONED FAVORITE

SANDWICH RING....IT COULD NOT BE EASIER!

CABBAGE STEAKS